Finding the right long-term accommodation is the single most important thing that you'll do when you arrive. The right choice can mean the difference between loving Perth or hating it.
Don't be fooled - most of us didn't have the time to choose the most appropriate suburb when we arrived - time pressures of furniture arriving, school terms dates, the competition of finding a decent rental, starting a job etc. all combine to make us 'just choose somewhere - and fix it later'. However as soon as you choose somewhere, roots start to go down - and it becomes hard to move to a distant suburb.
It's human nature to want to be seen in a good light - and most people have a hard time admitting they made a mistake - so take any advice from the online forums with a pinch of salt.
It's really, really important that you do enough research before you arrive:
Hard work before you arrive:
- Shortlist the 300+ Perth suburbs into a few that are your best candidates
- identify schools (public or private) that are close to your target suburbs
- work out your buy/rent/build timetable - and the implications of each
- track down a good quality place to stay initially - so your first impressions of Perth are not spoiled.
Hard work when you first get here:
- touring shortlisted suburbs to confirm their suitability.
- finding long-term rental properties - or tracking down suitable houses to buy.
We've complied an impressive list of resources to get you started. Use these, and others freely available elsewhere on the web, to help you whittle-down places to stay.
Let us use our extensive on-the-ground experience and current research data to shortlist potential suburbs that will suit your lifestyle, budget, career and family expectations. Go to our Let Us Help page for more details and to start the ball rolling...